Sunday, May 27, 2007

Ah, what to do today?

I read a nice bit of advice today regarding going out and doing things alone.

However, the most important thing is that if you are dependant on friends coming to be able to do things, you will spend your life missing out on things you want to do. Friends are great when they're there, but they can't always be there - never, ever, get into the habit of not doing things you want to, just because people aren't interested or flake out at the last minute, or whatever.

It may seem like little things - but over the years, they add up. Once you've gone to this concert, lower the bar and start going to similarly no-friends-interested things you are merely tempted by and are not to-die-for. It doesn't cost you time with your friends, it just means you get to do more - being effortlessly independent is simply a better way to live. (From here)

This resonates with me. There are a lot of times I don't have access to friends, either because they are busy or because I am feeling uncomfortable calling around.

I'm going to try this. Now I have to figure out what kind of things to do.

Off to check out the Independent's events calendar...