Thursday, April 19, 2007

Why would anyone name a gang "Save the Trout"?

This evening I get to learn all about gangs in the Eastern region of the county I work in. A woman I've met in the course of this job claimed to me a couple of weeks ago that it's not so much that there's a gang problem, but rather that the recent "brownification" of that community has made the old guard nervous. She's a total outsider, though, so I have no idea how to judge her supposition.

I'm wondering if any gangs they'll talk about tonight will be attributed to the increase in the Latino population in this state (400% from 1990 to 2000, the fastest-growing state population in the US for that time period. I can cite, but I don't much feel like it.)

I know nothing about the topic, and I'm looking forward to hearing what the service providers and community leaders will have to say.

Oh, and Wikipedia has a commentary on my post title. I don't care what they say; Salvatrucha still means "Save the Trout" in Spanish

Do you think I might get waxed because of this post?