Saturday, May 31, 2008

Whew!

Hi! I have had a great day so far, despite it being 80º inside and rising. I started out at the farmer's market, because I have (count them!) two different potlucks to go to this weekend.

So I've spent the morning so far all about food. I used my new immersion blender to make my first mayonnaise, ruining two batches along the way. Apparently it can fall out of suspension if you look at it cross-eyed. I'm now just about out of oil, which is fine. I don't use it all that often anyway.

The mayo is going into a fab potato salad I've whomped up, containing radishes, green onions, garlic scapes, carrots, dill, hard boiled eggs, salt and pepper. And potatoes. The second dish is another of my faves, curtido. Cabbage, onions, garlic scapes, carrots, cumin seeds, jalapeños, adobo seasoning and vinegar. I'm glad I made the curtido a day ahead of time. It takes a bit for it to infuse with the goodness. Wish I'd done that with the potato salad; as it is I'm afraid it won't cool!

If you didn't get this part, all ingredients minus the oil and vinegar are local; I only contributed the dill from my own garden.

I have a bunch of dishes to do now, and then it's time to mix up a batch of dough. I'm going to try out my new dutch oven with the no-knead bread tomorrow. I'm quite excited about that!