Monday, February 4, 2008

Kaffa Buni in lieu of haircut

Given the sad, sad news that I won't be pampering myself with a haircut, facial and pedicure today, I can at least seek solace in the fact that I'll be energetic as all get out today.

Thanks to my man Marc, I am currently drinking a Moka pot full of traditionally roasted coffee from the Kaffa region of Ethiopia. Yum.

Legend has it that a goat herder named Kaldi from Kaffa province first discovered the invigorating effects of the beans after his goats danced around (figuratively, I imagine, though I'd love to dance with a goat) after ingesting the native berry. Then some monk dudes got in on the game, and no longer slept during their prayers. Yum.

I heart coffee, so when Marc has brought me back fantastic Ethiopian coffees over the past year and a half, I have done my own little dances, though mostly in private. He stopped by yesterday afternoon and dropped off about a pound of goodness for my birthday. All praise Marco! Unfortunately for me (but fortunately for Marc, as his experience living in Ethiopia left a bit to be desired) Marc has repatriated to the US, and my source is no longer.

Hang on and let me get my second cup. (Laurie, my entry today is dedicated to your Coffee Pot Posts.)

OK. Back.

I have a friend who is a coffee roaster. It used to be by trade, but now he is a home roaster. Randomly, New Roommate is friends with the guy who took over that position, so I find myself with two sources of deep knowledge to tap into when I need or want to.

My hands aren't shaking yet. That's a good sign, right?

Anyhoo, this coffee is my first step into self-pampering today. We'll see if anything else develops. Maybe an actual BATH, drought issue notwithstanding. On second thought, the guilt of a bath will probably overwhelm any pampering it might bring with it. Ah well.

Someday I'd like to participate in a real Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony, and maybe get into home roasting myself. You can do it in a popcorn popper!

One last tidbit. The coffee Marc brought me was traditionally roasted, in a wok-like apparatus, over a wood fire (I think that's how it works). Look at how it turns out! Totally cool.