Sunday, January 27, 2008

Organization

I started to try to come up with a garden plan for this year using a powerpoint slide and inserting some tables that could break my beds down into one foot square modules. Not perfect, but would work for a rough sketch by season.

Then I looked at my seeds. What a mess!

So I spent a little time organizing. Now they fit into a shoebox and I know what I have. And I know what I need to get!

The season is creeping up way sooner than I realized. It's almost time to start planting the hardiest of the spring crops, and I really need to know what I'm going to put in and when. When you're trying to use the smallest of areas to get both a large variety of plants as well as ideal yield, you need to have things planned down to the week, practically!! That includes not just planting, but starting seedlings, too.

For the record, this is what I'm lacking: swiss chard, sweet peppers, zucchini/summer squash.

For seedlings, I'm considering outfitting a section of my bedroom (southern exposure) with the stainless steel shelving that's out in the shed. If I get a grow light for myself (For my birthday. Hmmm! Great idea!), I can hang it up along the shelving and have a decent place for starting plants out. Last year I tried to use the extra bedroom and no grow light, and well, that didn't work so well.

Of course the shelving and a grow light will only add to the chaos that is my bedroom, but maybe I can use the bottom shelf for laundry, and get it off the floor.

That's a lot to dream about, though. We'll see. I'll measure the space in the bedroom and see if the shelving will fit. If it does, I'll get New Roommate to help me set up the shelves. It's a two person job.