Thursday, November 15, 2007

Turn that frown upside down!! :-D

Again with the 7:30 a.m. start time 40 minutes from my house! And I almost got thrown up on to boot, by a kid who couldn't go home and yet wasn't allowed to lie down in the nurse's office, for liability reasons. I love my job. Wouldn't you?

Annual doctor's visit today, woo hoo. They did this horrible thing where you hold onto a contraption that looks like a videogame controller and it tells you JUST HOW FAT YOU ARE...as in the percentage and total pounds of your weight that are fat.

I'm *really* fat. The quantitative felt worse than the qualitative. I cried. My lovely, holistic, empathetic and yet kind of weirdo doctor hugged me and told me to be a food snob (quality, not quantity) and to make sure I'm breathing. The phlebotomist promised not to lose my blood this time. I have a psuedo plan for increasing my exercise. I'm cutting out sugar and carbs, per doctor's request.

The fat didn't stop mustached waiter Gonzalo from asking probing and direct questions at lunch, though. All I wanted was my favorite tortilla soup*.

What's your name?
Are you married?
Why not?
Do you have a boyfriend?
How can that be?
Do you have kids?
How old are you? What? You look 8-10 years younger than that!
How do you say "bonita" in English?
Are you going to come back here?
Where do you live?
You're really pretty.

Jesus. NOT IN THE MOOD FOR THAT. I felt like someone had taken every single social skill out of my body and replaced it a mouth that can only say "I really like the soup here." "It's my favorite soup** in the whole Triangle"

I'm tired. I've been crying a lot--every day this week so far, in fact, and at the drop of a hat. I didn't sleep well last night.

*$3.99!!! A whole quart of tasty, rich broth, rice, small bits of mixed veggies, tortilla "noodles" fresh avocado, cilantro and pico de gallo. And a lime to squeeze in.
**I sing high praises as well for their chicken soup. Both hit the spot when you're sick. Ultimate comfort food.