Thursday, November 29, 2007

Troubleshoot for me, please?

Cause I'm kind of computer illiterate in some ways, and many of you are not.

I can't print PDF files to paper anymore at work. This is getting in the way of my job. We don't have a real IT person, considering how tiny we are. This is not the only computer issue I have here, but it's the most immediately annoying.

Here are some clues: I tell it to print, and it opens a printer dialog box with properties, options, etc. all normal so far. Everything is as it should be, including that it's pointing to my printer, not anywhere else. Then when I hit OK, another box comes up, which says: (Print to file) Output File Name, with a field that's meant to be typed in. If I put an name in, it seems to print, even going so far as to have a progress bar. But it's clearly printing to a file rather than to the printer. I have no idea where the file might be going, but if I try to name the file the same thing twice, it asks if I want to replace.

The only thing I know how to do in this situation is to make sure I'm telling it to print to the printer. Which I am. So I have no idea.

For what it's worth, I'm using Windows XP, Adobe reader 7.0, the printer is on, and other documents print just fine. And the files aren't corrupted, because my office mates can print them on their computers. It's some setting I must have accidentally changed and I have NO idea what I did.

Update: Searching for the name of the file I supposedly wrote doesn't return any results at all.

Update the dos: Thanks to SeanMeister, he of the bizarre dreams about fishing, for always willing to help out in a pinch and for figuring out what I was doing wrong!

Update the tres: Michele also pulled through for the win, with a voicemail I didn't get until after I schooled my co-worked about how to use formulas in Excel!