Monday, September 17, 2007

Who knew?

ANYTHING can be made in a crockpot, people! OK, maybe not crunchy things, but anything wet can be.

As requested, a short explanation about the applesauce project.

All I did was chunk up some apples, skins and all, but not cores. Then I put them with about 1 inch of water in the crockpot, along with some spices (whatever you want...cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc.) Let it cook. I've done it two ways so far; the first batch went in overnight and then some. ~12 hours, I'd say. It came out quite brown, like apple butter, but tasty. The second way was shorter cook time at a higher temperature. This came out slightly prettier, because the apples hadn't browned as much. I didn't sweeten the applesauce, but you can if you want to.

SO! Once the apples are done, mush them through a Foley food mill.

Eat or can.

(I ended up with 5 quarts and two pints, btw. So far).