Monday, April 9, 2007

Xanadu

Roller skating was fun but HARD!! I struggled with balance, confidence and sore shins for the first several laps. Midway through, though, basic confidence returned, the sore shins mellowed out, and I really began to enjoy myself.

Best of all, though, was watching the other skaters. It kind of reminded me of when I go/went salsa dancing. There was just some amazing talent out there. It did feel at times as though I had stepped back into 1979, but with current music.

I kept thinking that someone needed to do a documentary about roller-skating subculture. I wonder if they call it rollerdancing? If you want to check out the scene, here's a link to photos from various skating events.

I had a hard time falling asleep last night, because I had my endorphins all hyped up. And then I had a gruesome dream that my mom came skating with me. I told her it was slippery, she smiled kind of shyly and moved gingerly to the 'wood' and then WHOMP! She fell to her right, hit her head on the rink and knocked herself out. I had to ask people to call the ambulance. Her head was bloody.

I'm glad that didn't happen to me.