Monday, January 7, 2008

Random points

  • Drinking lots of fluids also means peeing a lot. Why can't it just all come out as snot and make me better, already?
  • A cousin of mine whom I've not seen in probably 15 years at least called me this weekend. He wanted to know about a rock I had that floated in water that he remembered from when we were little, and could he borrow it? (!!!???) I remember him as being on the bizarre side, and the voice mail kind of cemented that. I bit the bullet and called him back (I wasn't taking calls this weekend from anyone). It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Turns out he just didn't know what pumice was, and there was an actual context--his niece had a science project. I referred him to the nail care section of the nearest Meijer to pick up some pumice and managed to get off the phone lickity split. It was a major accomplishment, given my state of mind, to have called him back.
  • Looks like I'll be headed down (the) Atlanta (high) way to visit Nemoid the Fab and Jamie the Goddess over the MLK long weekend. Woot. Complication: Crush lives in the same basic location. I included him in the original email to see if any of the three of them would be around that weekend, but he hasn't responded yet. Logically, that's fine--maybe he's checking his schedule, he doesn't always email back immediately, etc. Emotionally, it's more like "OMG I told him I had a crush and now he's going to avoid me at all costs and OMG how stupid am I and OMG nobody's going to like me ever again!" (NB--I recognize the over-the-top-ness of the emotions, as well as the jumping-to-conclusions-ness, along with the who-knows?-you-sure-don't,-Stew!-ness.)
  • When do you stay home from work because you're sick with a cold? I'm being extremely anal about reducing the transmission risk, and I don't feel too bad. I mean, yes, it's annoying that my diaphragm and chest hurt from coughing, and yes, I didn't hardly sleep last night, but considering all that, I feel damn decent! I have hand sanitizer galore, and kleenex rather than hankies. My office is segregated from the rest of the employees, and I am not touching things that others will come into contact with. I've been washing my hands with the zeal of someone who is overcompensating, and I still feel guilty. But I'd feel guilty if I'd stayed home, also. Can't win.
  • I have nothing more to say.

Edit: Have heard from Crush. He is going to make sure he's in town for the weekend that I'll be around, and is looking forward to it. Sigh. I'm such a dork.