Saturday, December 8, 2007

Coooookies and Candy and Showerheads, Oh MY!

Went this a.m. to a Christmas parade. Disappointing was how many entries/floats/whatever were advertising. The freaking Chik-Fil-A cow was there. Along with insurance companies, mortgage brokers, realtors...when did that all happen?

The highlights as far as I'm concerned were the bands, the Jazzercise ladies, and the water company people, who gave me a free low-flow showerhead. Oh, but the real highlight is the the Christmas In December 2007 CD my pal Jerrypants gave me. They're always the best ever.

I just made some toffee for a cookie exchange I'm going to tomorrow. The recipe doesn't quite make enough for my needs, though, so tomorrow I'll be making something more. Maybe jam thumbprint cookies. We'll see.

Here's the toffee recipe:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
Chocolate chips
Chopped nuts

Basically melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan, stirring constantly until it reaches 310ยบ F or hard crack. By that time it will be a deep rich brown. Pour onto a greased cookie sheet. Let cool just enough so the top is hardened a little and sprinkle the chocolate chips over it. They will melt. Spread the chocolate evenly and dump the nuts on. Let cool, and then crack it apart into bite-sized pieces.

It's crack.