Monday, November 5, 2007

Possum Living

Do you want to get out of the rat race but not drop out? Do you want to live a life of leisure without worry or guilt? If your answer is yes, Dolly Freed will show you how to live well without a job and without working very hard.

In 1978, 19-year old Dolly Freed penned Possum Living: How to live well without a job and with (almost) no money, an irreverent, saucy how-to guide to simple living, urban style.

It's the most bizarre, yet captivating, thing I've read in years. I've been coming back to it every few months for the last year or so. I think that she's a certified whackjob. But I still like her.

She was in a movie at about the same time. Janet Maslin apparently reviewed it in her early days at the Times.

Fast forward thirty years, and Ms. Freed seems to have dropped off the planet.

I emailed the company in NY who sell the movie, to see if they've ever heard from or about her. I like a good mystery.