Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Bitter Greens

I'm thinking I'd better grow some of the mesclun I planted during the Passover season. The arugula is spicy as all get out, the green and red leaf lettuces taste like they've bolted already. The kale is passable. Damn drought and stupid people washing cars.

Good thing I bought a pound of Belgian chocolates yesterday to sweeten my mouth up afterwards.

Here's my (stolen from a friend) basic vinaigrette recipe.

Olive Oil
Soy Sauce
Dijon mustard
Red wine vinegar
Garlic
Thyme/marjoram

Um, I don't do proportions very well. Mostly oil--1 cup or so?. Then vinegar 1/3 to 1/4 cup?. Then soy sauce--um, enough, but not too much--1/4 cup or a little less?. Glop some good mustard in--1-2 T?. Chop up a clove of garlic and chuck it in. Crumble a pinch of dried thyme to release some of the good smell in it. Shake Shake Shake.

Keeps for ages in the fridge.