Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Crazy Making

Did I mention I've been working a lot??? 10 more hours today. The day ended with me walking with overweight teens in high humidity until 5, at which time I boogied across town with the windows open, frantically hoping my sweat would dry, for a "State of the County's Public Health" forum. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't hear about the forum until yesterday (and then only via a forward of someone else's forwarded invite), considering that we set the county agenda tonight for the next few years.

I came out of there both depressed and invigorated. Depressed because my agency apparently has so little visibility in the community as to have been overlooked with a direct invitation. Invigorated because the workgroup I was in set some kick-ass priorities: 1) to increase effective prevention efforts for communicable diseases (i.e. STDs including HIV/AIDS) and 2) to implement strong advocacy measures at all levels (*cough* state law *cough* schools *cough*) to eliminate barriers (*cough* abstinence until marriage *cough*) to service delivery.

Oh, and I don't think I like fava beans very well. They're bitter. I have a lot of them. Crap.