Friday, December 7, 2007

Fab news

I just got off the phone with my stepmother, and somehow we negotiated no presents for Christmas this year. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. She said she'd talk Dad into it, because he won't be even remotely thrilled. Oh well, he'll live. I just hate getting extra crap.

When I talked to my mom, she told me exactly what she wanted (microplane grater), what my grandma wants (bourbon or a dark fruitcake, the cheaper the better, especially if it's from A&P [which she specifically mentioned, though there isn't one within 30 miles of her house]), and to get Pedro a book. Perfect.

My sister said not to get her anything, and I may negotiate with her to do the same for me. My three nephews, however, will be showered with gifts, despite the ungratefulness that accompanies the craziness of holiday overstimulation.

I kind of sound like a Grinch, but really it's more about the love and time together than the crap. Unless they're really special, gifts are just annoying.

The best gifts are homemade. Or macs.