Sunday, July 15, 2007

One Local Summer Week Four

As I've mentioned before, I do much better cooking on the weekends. It's the extra time. If I get a bee in my bonnet to make my first homemade egg noodles, well, LET'S ROLL!

I used the egg noodle recipe from my first edition (9th printing) 1953 BH&G New Cookbook. It was the simplest I found. I didn't spend a long time looking.

After making the stiff dough, rolling it out thin and letting it rest for 20 minutes, you roll it up like a jellyroll, and then slice it thinly.

Laying*the cut noodles out to dry for a couple of hours, you can see how rustic they look. My mom had a noodle-cutting device when I was growing up that looked like a pizza cutter with 5-6 sections. All the noodles end up uniform that way, and really, it's easier. But not as cute.



Maggie's meal last week made me crave protein, specifically in the form of fish. I was lucky enough that Whole Foods was selling NC rainbow trout. I bought two fillets, and stuck one in the freezer for later.

Here's what I ended up with today for Sunday dinner:
Pan fried rainbow trout, hush puppies, green and wax beans, egg noodles (with butter, raw milk "pheta" and parsley) and tomatoes. Dessert, not pictured, was cantaloupe**.


Rainbow Trout: NC, otherwise unknown
Canola oil: not local as far as I know.
House Autry breading (trout) and self-rising cornmeal (hushpuppies). 45 miles.
Vegetables (beans, tomatoes, onions, parsley). 0 miles, garden.
Egg noodles: Southern Biscuit flour (146 miles), Maola milk (152 miles) and an egg from visiting Jamie.
Butter: Mapleview farm (16 miles)
Pheta: Chapel Hill Creamery 19 miles

This was REALLY a good meal. I ate the whole thing.

*This is one of my many language pet peeves.
**I've saved the seeds. Anyone want some?