Monday, January 15, 2007

Scratching my head

Unexpected, unintentional weight loss of 11 pounds since about a month ago? I'm not going to bitch about it. Not a bad way to start the morning, is it?

I got up on time, expecting a friend to come for breakfast. A home-made, BIG, AMERICAN breakfast, inspired by a post on a website I read about this product. I'm guessing he was blown over by the very idea of a breakfast corn dog, because he graciously took a rain check. (I was just going to make pancakes and boca sausage, kids. And we might have, had the breakfast even occurred, pretended to make the pancake-wrapped sausage on a stick delicacies. But now we'll never, ever know. Just cause he didn't "feel well" and "couldn't sleep".)

So I tackled the garden instead. I think I said I'm making new beds, right? Well, it's hard motherfucking work! Chop through the sod, put the shovel through the roots, lift up, toss over into a pile. I managed to clear about a 3'x5' space today; that's 1/4 of the total bed I'm hoping to finish in the next couple of days. It took me about 45 minutes of grunting. Luckily I had rigged the music to blare Xanadu-era ELO (thanks Pinky!). Now the bed is resting, covered with a tarp held in place by bricks. I'm hoping that will discourage any of the grass and weeds from coming back before it's time to plant.

Compost confounds me a bit. I broke up the sod the best I could, given the highly annoying brambles that had made their way into the mix and their tendency to attack me. The sod (and dirt that came up with it) filled my compost bin up almost all the way. I layered it with brown material (leaves). I wonder what to do with it next? Wait, I guess. *stomp!* I want it NOW.

Thanks to a conversation with my local technical support, Maria, I have narrowed down the "must-have" tools to just three: a shovel (of the pointed, long-handled variety, no D-ring at the end. Wait....apparently it's not a shovel but a spade), a heavy-duty spade fork, a hoe and a soil rake.

I have a good job interview tomorrow. Wish me luck. :-)

(Don't forget to comment if you don't normally or haven't before! This means you, Englewood, Colorado! And YOU, Amf Ohare, Illinois! And you, Shanghai! And you, Fengtsun, T'ai-wan!)

(This delurking thing isn't working. I think the site meter may have been a bad idea. I'm obsessing.)